Friday, February 24, 2006


Headline.....
American Dream Come True, Immigrants Hit Top Jackpot!

This was the headline in the Fort Wayne newspaper earlier this week. I had to stop and reflect that when my great-grandparents were immigrants, their American Dream was to have the opportunity to work to provide their family with a better life. In fact, several of them became farmers, which has always been an incredible amount of work. Other than a weekend trip to visit family, I don't know that my grandparents took a vacation or travelled for recreation their entire life. When you have dairy cows, there is no such thing as a day off....

It's interesting to think about what constitutes "The American Dream" these days. I know that dairy cows are not for me....but as much as I grumble about getting out of bed so early, I can't seriously imagine not wanting to work at all. Well, for very long - the first month or two sounds nice!

No comments: