Monday, March 13, 2006

Who would have ever imagined??

I went to a Komet Hockey game with Not Worthy last night – always a good time!

This game was special because for the first time in Komet history, a woman was in the starting line-up. Molly McMaster, 29, is participating in one game in every UHL city this month as part of an initiative for Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. McMaster was diagnosed with stage II colon cancer in February, 1999 at the age of 23.

We got to the game, and as we passed through the lobby, we were handed a free stuffed-toy! Well, we always take the free stuff that they hand us, and I didn’t pay much attention until Not Worthy asked me, “You do know what that is, don’t you?”

So I looked at what I was carrying…




Yes, I had been handed a stuffed enema toy!! EneMan!!

It only went downhill from there. The little kids…just saw a cute toy. The older kids and adults, however.....

And it turns out that SOMEHOW they convinced someone to WEAR AN EneMan COSTUME and participate in all the “character hi-jinks.” I’m just going to say “wheel-barrow race” and let it go at that.

EneMan. The friendly face of colorectal screening. There’s a board meeting I would have liked to overheard.

But it is a serious issue, and everyone should talk to their doctor about screening for this fairly preventable form of cancer. (And if you want a warm fuzzy friend to hold while you do this, I have a little stuffed friend available! Free to a good home.)

4 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Some things are better off without a mascot at all, apparently. :)

Orycteropus Afer said...

I have a little stuffed friend available! Free to a good home.

I have a good home (hint, hint).

Robert Elart Waters said...

Great little mascot. No ifs, ands, or butts about it.

Genuine Lustre said...

Oh dear. Hard to explain that one to the kids, lol.