Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New Find....

Greetings after an extended absence! I certainly never meant for such a long time to pass between entries, it just kind of crept up on me.

For now, I want to point out the link to a new blog that I discovered, Dark My Road, which is "A Lutheran blog exploring the theology of the cross and mental illness, particularly depression, anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Written by an LCMS pastor, this site hopes to serve as a refuge for pastors and others who suffer with diseases of the mind, and to offer hope in the Gospel."

Having journeyed along the dark road of situational depression myself, I am eager to follow and participate in this discussion, and I hope that you will also.

While it sometimes seems that depression and other mental illnesses are happening more often than in the past - I think it is more likely that as we understand these things better, more people are seeking and receiving medical help that was not available even 20-30 years ago. I think this is especially true among Pastors. I would think that being seen as "counselors" would make it even more difficult to admit to needing that help. (It is certainly difficult enough as a layperson to admit that!)

However, recognizing the chemical and behavioral triggers and imbalances involved does not isolate the impact and consequences of mental illness to the scientific/medical fields of study. When our minds suffer any disorder (beyond the disorder of our original sin) we are even more so Satan's prey, and as always in desperate need of the comfort and rescue of the Gospel. I am excited for any discussion which seeks to balance this tension.

No comments: